National Combine Series's Fan Box

National Combine Series on Facebook

Monday, April 19, 2010

Recruiting Realities

There have been many good articles written on recruiting over the years. However, in the New York Times, there were several about college recruiting and scholarship money. The series of articles definitely highlighted the somber tails that some student-athletes experience. Like anything else, we usually only get to hear or read about the top 1% who have success.

I believe that there needs to be a shift of thinking in the college recruiting process, both by parents and student-athletes. As athletes we have pride. Sometimes that pride serves us well and other times it can hurt us. Most of us expect or hope for scholarships to play in college. Parents definitely hope for it and think that we are the next best player since Tom Brady (Coincidently, he was a 6th round draft pick.)

Yes, college tuition is getting more expensive every year. Therefore, we feel that it is important to get a scholarship. I know that I was looking to get one to help my parents. (I was also hoping that if I got a scholarship out of high school, they would buy me a Suzuki Samurai with wood paneling on the side.)

Neither happened. I ended up "walking on" at the University of Virginia and driving a beat up Ford Pinto with no A/C. The summer after I graduated high school, I received a call from Liberty University with an offer for a “full ride.” I respectfully declined.

It should not be about “show(ing) me the money.” I understand

that there are some people that cannot go to college for financial reasons

unless they get an athletic scholarship.


However, for this discussion, the shift in mind set should be focused on the benefits of playing college sports. Athletics offer more long term benefits then tuition alone.

Pursuing sports in college can increases acceptance opportunities. Once there, just a few of the traits you learn are:

  • Time management

  • Discipline

  • Team work

  • Self-Motivation

  • How to deal well with pressure

Those skills and a college degree will ultimately land you with a great job when you graduate. Many employers look first to student-athletes for the above mentioned traits when hiring. If fact there is even a website geared towards hiring student-athletes out of high school: http://www.athletes4hire.com.

Read the series of articles in the NY Times .


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers